Sunday, January 11, 2009

New 50cc Gasser

I've recently finished a Hanger 9 "Carden Yak" and have been flying it quite a bit over the holidays. It's a 50cc ARF built by Hanger 9 whilst designed by Carden. Normally a Carden kit comes as a box of balsa sticks and foam cores; I much prefer the ARF option!


I'm running a DA50 with a MTW cannister muffler, JR 2.4G radio, Futaba 9156's on elevators and Hitec 5955TG's on aileron/rudder. I'm trying Fromeco "Iron Corps" batteries for the first time: these are lithium phosphate (generally called A123 cells) and you don't need a regulator as they stay almost constant at 6.6v. I have two 2400 mAh packs powering the flight surfaces with a Fromeco dual switch handling the battery load / redundancy. They are quite a heavy pack, and not really suitable for F3A but perfect for this type of model. And they charge fast.

The model flies great, with a good envelope for sequence and 3D. It's quite good to practice the P09 schedule - a bit slow but it makes you work hard to keep it on line and tracking well. 3D is not my forte but is great fun with this little beastie!

No comments: